A Fellow of IIM Bangalore, with a combined industry and academic experience of over 29 years, Arun has continuously demonstrated the ability and inclination to ‘go beyond.’ He started his corporate carrier as a mechanical design engineer and then forayed into marketing wherein his experience encompassed product and brand management, sales management, and Strategic marketing. In academics, he has excelled in teaching, research, and academic administration.
- Kumar, N. and Bhattacharyya, A., (2020). “Exploring the Effect of Systematic Interventions on Entrepreneurship Students’ Personality and Behavior: A Longitudinal Study using Indian Personality Theory,” Entrepreneurship Education, assessed on doi/1007/s41959-020-00032-6
- Bhattacharyya, A., Kumar, N. (2020). “Who is more Entrepreneurial? A Comparative Study of Vocational and Academic Students,” Asia Pacific Journal of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, https://www.emerald.com/insight/2398-7812.htm, assessed on doi/10.1108/APJIE-06-2019-0047
- Bhattacharyya, A., Gupta, A., and Varghese, S. (2020). “Sangeeth Varghese: A Dilemma of Democratization and Detachment,” Emerald Emerging Market Case Studies, 10, No. 2, 1-25
- Bhattacharyya, A., Ramesh K. S. and Swaminathan, V. (2017). “Culture and Persuasion Appeals: The Indian Context”. In Understanding Indian Consumers, Duriaraj Maheswaran and Thomas Pullyel (Eds.), New Delhi, Oxford University Press, 96-116
- Bhattacharyya, A. (2014). Book Review, “V. Kumar, (2013), Profitable Customer Engagement: Concept, Metrics, and Strategies, New Delhi, Sage Response Books”, IIMB Management Review, 26, 271-272
- Ramesh K., S. and Bhattacharyya, A. (2012). “VNFPP Ltd: Using Holistic Marketing in a Small Enterprise Context,” IIMB-Harvard Business School, (Dec 2012)
- Ahmad, M. U., and Bhattacharyya, A. (2012). “Another Entrepreneurial Venture Fails to See the Light of the Day: Understanding Why?” Management and Labour Studies, Vol. 37, No 2, 163-173
- Bhattacharyya, A. (2011). “Taking the Big Leap: From a Supplier to a Turnkey Project Contractor”, Decision, 38, No. 2, 84-101
- Bhattacharyya, A. and Ahmad, M. U. (2011). “From Agglomeration to Dispersal: Dealing with Uncertainties in the Global Environment”, Journal of Management and Technology, Vol. 7, No 1, (Jan 2011)
- Bhattacharyya, A. and Ahmad, M. U. (2010). “Managing the Network: The case of a Micro-enterprise.” Vision-The Journal of Business Perspective, Vol. 14, Nos. 1&2, 85-92
- Bhattacharyya, A. (2010). “The Networking Entrepreneur”. Journal of Entrepreneurship, Vol. 19, No. 2, 209-221.
- Bhattacharyya, A. (2009). “Branding in B2B Industries- Myth or Reality”. In Changing Paradigms in Management Practices, Dr. Alok Saklani, Prof. Deepankar Chakrabarti and Dr. S. K. Jha (Eds.), New Delhi, Apeejay Stya Publishing Pvt. Ltd.
- Bhattacharyya, A. (2009). “SMEs in Transitional Economies: Overcoming the Challenges”. In Small and Medium Enterprises in Transitional Economies, Challenges & Opportunities, Aneet and Monika Aggarwal (Eds.), New Delhi, Deep and Deep Publications.
Work in Progress
- “A Narrative Inquiry into the Social Sustainability of Smallholder Farmer Collectives”, under review at Social Business
- “A Simplistic Competitive Bidding Model in Turnkey Contracts for Small Businesses”, under review at Marketing Intelligence and Planning journal
- “The role of knowledge transfer and social capital on entrepreneurial orientation” targeted at Journal of Small Business Management
- “Sociological Perspective of Farmer Organisation’s Performance: A Comparative Study of Farmer Groups in India” (2021) at the Indiana Academy of the Social Sciences, 91st Annual Conference
- “Self-Expansion, Love and Self-Brand Relationship” (2014) at the 8th Great Lakes International Marketing Conference, Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai, India.
- “Network Effects, Reference Groups and Brands- Emerging Market Context” (2014) at the Annual Conference of the Emerging Markets Conference Board, IIM Lucknow, Noida, India
- “Criticality of Supply Chain Management for Turnkey Projects” (2009) at IIM Bangalore, Bangalore, India
- “Enhancing Competitiveness through Innovation” (2008) at IIM Lucknow, Lucknow, India
Reviewed and reviewing papers/articles under the auspices of Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies, IIMB Review (Elsevier), Asian Journal of Management Cases, and Small Business Institute.
I) July 2020 onwards: Indian Institute of Plantation Management, Bangalore, India
- Program Chair of PGDM-ABPM (Agribusiness & Plantation Management)
- Member of IIPM Research Cell; brought out the IIPM journal
II) April 2016 to July 2020: Jain (Deemed-to-be-University), Bangalore, India
Professor and Dean
- Program Chair of the MBA program
- Head of the Ph.D. program in Management
- Member of the Centre for Indian Values and Ethos
III) June 2010 to May 2011: Acharya School of Management, Bangalore, India
- Chairperson Marketing
- Coordinator- Entrepreneurship Cell
IV) July 2008 to May 2010: Jaipuria Institute of Management, Noida, India
- Coordinator of Entrepreneurship Cell
- Marketing Cell Convenor
V) Aug 2006 to June 2008: Faculty of Management Studies, MITS (Deemed-to-be University), India
- Area Chair, Marketing
- Member of the Post Graduate Program Review Committee
I) Aug 2005 to Aug 2006: Sarda Plywood Industries Limited (Brand DURO), Kolkata, India.
Senior Manager, Marketing
- Marketing and sales of the company’s products in Eastern India, Gujarat, Mumbai, Karnataka, Chattisgarh, and MP
- Formulating and finalizing brand promotion and advertising strategies
II) April 1994 to July 2005: The Dalmia Group, Environmental Division, Kolkata, India
- Marketing of turnkey water/ wastewater systems and infrastructure projects for clients like PHED, PWD & Coalfields
- Management Representative for ISO 9002 implementation work
III) Sep 1989 to March 1994: The Dalmia Group, Machinery Division, Odisha, India
- Design of machinery used in Refractory and allied industries
- Management Representative for ISO 9002 & KAIZEN implementation work